Slide 5 of 18
Our month-long campaign in August, 1994, involved Jersey in competition with our sister church Whitehall Baptist, in our Association. We met in advance with the leadership of Whitehall to plan our strategy, and came up with the “Hatfields and McCoys” feud theme. Developing this theme involved:
- A challenge the week before the event, wherein costumed leaders from each church appeared at the other’s morning service and declared a feud “Y’all allows as how y’all can best us in getting’ folks out to Sunday School--them’s fightin’ words!”)
- A special kick-off event after the morning worship service on the first week, including a greased pig contest, pork sandwiches, and other country-style events
- A feud theme song, set to the Beverly Hillbillies music, sung in each morning worship service to introduce the theme segment
- Feature of one of our age divisions each week, involving recognition of our costumed teachers giving a Laugh-In style sal-UTE from the corn field.
- Announcement of the week’s score and encouragement to contact members and prospects for Sunday School attendance the next week
- A special event for that week’s featured age division, from pizza to picnics